So you just got married or divorced. Either way, it's out with the old (name) and in with the new!
Changing your name is a daunting task and as someone who was recently re-married in my late 30s, I feel your pain. I wasn't aware services like https://newlynamed.com/ existed when I started my process so here's a list of all the places I had to change my name. Hopefully having this list gives you a place to start or maybe it convinces you to pay a service to help you with the process, either way, here's my list so far:
- Social Security Office. Here's their most recent article on How to Change your Name: https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-01981
- Drivers License (& Voter Registration)--Check with your state but they'll likely want your Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree, or legal supporting documentation as well as your new Social Security Card
- Passport (you can get the application online or at your local Post Office). Here's a tool that generates the form for you: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/change-correct.html
Beyond this point, everyone's process is different and often requires 1-2 of the items above.
- Financial Accounts
- Life & Disability Insurance
- Investment Accounts
- Credit Cards
- Car, Auto & Liability Insurance
- Car Title
- Your Estate Plan--Check in with your attorney about this.
- Your Business/ Profession
- With your office
- Local Chamber of Commerce
- Regulatory Entities (for me it's FINRA)
- Certifying bodies for any certifications or Licenses you hold
- Business Entities (your State's Secretary of State)
- TSA PreCheck or Global Entry
- Any existing Flights directly with the airline
- Hotel Loyalty Programs
- Rental Car Loyalty Programs
- Doctor's Office
- Medical/ Health Insurance
- Gym or Yoga Studio
- Loyalty Programs- Grocery Stores, your favorite juice bar, etc
- ALL SUBSCRIPTION SERVICES
- All Personal Care Services (Hair Salon, Wax Salon, Spa)
- Pets (Yes, I suppose I should change Charlie's Last Name to match mine.)
- Microchip Registry
That's my list so far. I'll update it as I go. Feel free to comment or email me if you have any additions or if something surprised you.
Also, consider paying a Professional Service and gifting one to a friend who's going to change their name. I'm sure they'll appreciate it!